What is happening?
The activation process for Blackboard Course units in the Faculty of Science & Engineering for academic year 2019/20 will be different. Over the summer period IT Services will bulk activate Blackboard Course units in preparation for the new academic year. This change will affect Semester 1, Semester 2 and Full Year courses. The eLearning Team has liaised with your Teaching & Learning Managers to produce a list of scheduled course units and what content needs to be copied into Blackboard as part of the bulk activation process. This new process will not change when students can see their new courses; students will only be able to access activated courses one week before the start of semester, as in previous years.
Why is this happening?
Due to the Faculty restructure into two Schools, IT Services must make some changes to the codes in both Campus Solutions and Blackboard which are used to identify course units and community spaces.
How will this affect me?
If you are Course Leader on a course unit which is due to run in 2019/20, you should note the following:
- Your 2019/20 Blackboard course units will not appear in the Future tab for activation as they normally would.
- Course units that ran in 2018/19 and are due to run again will be activated automatically and content will be copied into the 2019/20 course space in accordance with instructions from your Teaching & Learning Managers.
- Course units which are new (i.e. have never been run before) will be activated automatically if your School T&L Office has requested it. New course units will typically be activated with a blank template which you can then customise.
- Existing course units which did not run in 2018/19 but are being run in 2019/20 will not be activated automatically, UNLESS your School’s T&L Office has requested that the course units need to be part of the bulk activation process.
When will this take place?
Bulk activations will be taking place during July 2019. This should allow plenty of time for you to plan your content for next academic year. After the end of July, any course units which were not included in the bulk activation process will become available for individual activation, as normal. We will keep you informed of any changes to these dates and tell you when individual activation becomes available again.
What do I need to do?
- If you are not a Course Leader, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you are a Course Leader and your course for 2018/19 is running again in 2019/20, you don’t need to do anything as your content will be copied into the new space automatically.
- If you are a Course Leader for a new course unit, your course will be activated automatically with a blank template if your School T&L Office has requested it. If not, you will be able to activate it yourself after the end of July.
- If you are a Course Leader for a course which did not have a Blackboard space in 2018/19 but will be re-run in 2019/20, you should already have been contacted by your School T&L Office to discuss what you want to happen with your new space. If you haven’t been contacted, wait until the end of July and contact the eLearning Team, who will help you with the activation process.
Where can I get more information?
Contact your School’s Teaching & Learning staff if you have any queries about whether your course has been included in the automatic activation process.
If you have any questions about Blackboard or would like any advice on how to structure your Blackboard space for the new academic year, please contact the FSE eLearning Team via the support portal – click here .