We’ve all probably got the Christmas break on our minds right now, but the start of Semester 2 will be upon us before you know it.
Week 1 of Semester 2 starts on Monday 28th January 2019. Full year course units in Blackboard are, of course, already available to students, but Semester 2 units must be activated and populated with content before Monday 21st January 2019, which is the date when Semester 2 Blackboard course units are made available to students.
If you haven’t already activated your course for Semester 2, there is help available. Take a look at the guidance about accessing Blackboard and updating your courses on the TLSO’s webpage about Start of Semester 2.
How do I activate my Bb course for Semester 2?
The course academic lead is responsible for ensuring Bb courses are activated. Bb courses may be activated by the course academic lead, or anyone listed as a primary instructor on the course in Campus Solutions.
See the knowledge base article How to activate Blackboard Courses, which includes details about rolling forward your course content to the new academic year’s course and key dates to bear in mind. You can activate your Bb course as soon as you like. Check with your School/Programme administrator if you can’t see the Bb course listed in the portlet. Your Semester 2 courses will be in the Future tab until Monday 21st January 2019.
When can students see my Bb course?
Activated Bb courses for Semester 2 become visible to students on Monday 21st January 2019 (unless you select a different option when you activated your Bb course). Please make sure your courses are activated and populated with content well before this date.
How do I access Blackboard to see my courses?
You can access Blackboard via My Manchester for staff. Click on the link to Blackboard under the Teaching category of links .
Ensuring your Bb course has appropriate content for the start of year
Please review the article on Preparing Blackboard 9 courses for start of year and semester 2 . It includes:
- the process required in order for Bb courses to be made available to students in Blackboard;
- a link to ‘Key dates for Blackboard 9’;
- a link to a ‘Post-activation checklist’;
- links to other related articles.
What if a student can’t see the course in Blackboard?
There are normally 3 reasons why a student cannot see their course:
- The course has not yet been activated in Blackboard. Check that the activation procedure for the course has been completed by the academic course lead.
- The student has not yet completed enrolment. It can take up to 24 hours from when a student enrols on a course until it is available to them in Blackboard.
- The student is expecting to see a Semester 2 course in Semester 1. Most Semester 2 course units have a Blackboard course unit code which ends in 2, e.g. MATS11002. These will not become visible to students until the week before Semester 2 starts.
Please direct your students to the support pages on My Manchester (studentnet.manchester.ac.uk/blackboard) for further advice and information.
Colleagues in the elearning team will be on hand to offer support and advice on activating your Blackboard course, structuring content, and using online tools to enhance teaching and learning. Book a 1-to-1 session with a Learning Technologist, here: 1 to 1 session bookings. These sessions will last up to an hour, and are available to help you prepare your course for next year, or give you some new ideas of how to structure your Blackboard course. We can also arrange to come to your office at a mutually agreed time for a 1 to 1 session. For further information and advice about eLearning, or to arrange an office visit, please contact your Faculty eLearning team via the Support Centre: Click here to Request eLearning Support